Thursday, June 09, 2005

Bible Study

I went over to the pastor's home for midweek Bible study. The evening turned out more than I expected--along with the Bible study, there was dinner and an evening of fellowship.

Pastor, due to the beautiful weather, decided to hold the Bible study on his back deck. We finished the study before it got dark, but continued to talk until well after dark. Even after the sun went down, it stayed a very comfortable temperature. The lack of breeze meant I didn't feel chilled. And without any insects buzzing around, the breeze wasn't missed.

The Bible study focused on Saul/Paul's conversion--Acts 9:1-9. The study left me thinking about a couple of things:

- God can use dramatic events to get our attention--bright light from heaven (Saul), cancer (Pastor), over-the-top generosity (Mike). Have I ever been part of a "dramatic event" for someone else? Not that I remember or know. What "dramatic events" has God put in my life? Nothing that comes close to matching the shared experiences, but there have been certain events that I know were designed to capture my attention.

- Up to his conversion, Saul was sure that he was doing the right thing in persecuting the Christians, but he found that he was completely wrong. I don't like to think about or remember when I am wrong, but maybe I should take more note of those occasions--use them as reminders when I get confident and self-assured.

No comments: