Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Semi-recently Read Books

Superfreakonomics by Levitt & Dubner. Never read Freakonomics. Thinking I'll have to pick that on up soon. I think the part that really got me to thinking was "How much good do car seats really do?"

Skipping a Beat by Pekkanen. A contemporary drama. Told from the perspective of a wife whose husband had a near-death experience and came back determined to give away all of his assets, including his $70 million business and their mansion of a home. She'd already been contemplating divorce and now he want her to give him another chance. With the near-death experience and the husband's make-over in priorities, I kept expecting it to have some spiritual aspect to it. So the biggest disappointment about this book for me is that I felt like the author practically went out of her way to avoid mentioning God or anything truly spiritual.

The Year We Were Famous by Carole Dagg. YA novel based on history. The author's great-aunt walked across the U.S. with her mother.

Before I Fall and Delirium by Lauren Oliver. YA novels with endings that are a very mixed feel of happy and sad.

Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon. The lives of an African-American deaf man, an electively mute woman living in a mental institution, her newborn daughter, and a reclusive, retired school teacher collide. I found the bulk of the book a good read, but really felt like the ending was contrived.

No comments: