Monday, October 31, 2005

Weekend Fun

Friday evening was a fun evening with the girls. SS hosted (what started out as) a group of college students for a showing of the 2-hour episode of Firefly. It ended up that none of the guys showed up, just a group of about eight girls.

SS had created a lego model of Serenity and her crew--very impressive. The model included engine thrusters that rotated, a cargo door that opened, and landing gear that folded up.

Saturday evening was the church's Fall Harvest party--a bonfire at a family's home with a chili cook-off and hot dogs roasted. (I think the hot dogs got roasted more than the people trying to get close enough to the fire to roast them--it was debatable.) There was also a hayride and lots of fellowship. This was the third time JM had made chili in about four weeks--but it was the first time I actually made a point of getting any. He keeps playing around with his recipe, so there were some parts of it he thought still needed improvement, but I thought it was good. I guess I missed the results of the chili cook-off, so don't know what everyone else thought.

Sunday after church, the youth group headed out to an area corn maze. There were 7 teens that went and I was one of 3 adults with the group. Most of the teens walked around in the maze a bit and were done in half-an-hour. The three of us adults wandered through the maze for nearly 50 minutes--working our way to the far end and back, without using any of the short-cuts, where people had tramped through the "walls" of the maze. As this was the last weekend of the maze, it was hard to tell at some points which were the legitimate paths and which were the paths that had been created by people tramping through. Most of the activities were designed for younger children, but we did hang around long enough to check out the duck races (plastic ducks floated down gutter sections by water pumped with a hand pump) and the corn cannon (powered by compressed air). Most of the group also took advantage of the hay ride.

After the corn maze, the group went back to the leaders' home where there were eats and a movie. Since the group chose to watch the Haunting--a horror film, I hung around in a different part of the house. A couple of pieces of trivia about the film that I found interesting: it was described as "the scariest film you'll ever see...and it's G-rated" and the director, Robert Wise, was also the director of the Sound of Music.

No comments: